Stephen Keshi
10604
Alexander Okere, Benin
Former coach of the Super Eagles, Stephen Keshi, on Friday has described his late wife Kate as unique, saying she would be greatly missed.
Keshi, who said this while speaking with journalists at his wife’s funeral in Benin, thanked Nigerians for standing by him since December 9, 2015 when Kate, a graduate of Nursing from the University of Phoenix and mother of four, died after battling with cancer for three years.
“She was a unique wife. A wife that I think any man would love to have,” Keshi, who was also national team captain, said.
“I am honoured that, despite their busy schedule, they (guests) came out to give their last respect to my wife. Most of them know my wife and I believe that is why they are here. I thank them, the press and all Nigerians for being in prayer with my family.”
The funeral rites began with a mass held at St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Airport Road, Benin, before her body was interred at the family residence at Ugiokhuen Quarters in GRA, Benin.
The Chairman of the Edo State Football Association, Mr. Frank Ilaboya, said the loss of Keshi’s wife was a great one for the nation.
Ilaboya said, “I think it is a great loss, not just to the FA but to the football community in Nigeria. We are talking about the wife of former Super Eagles coach. He was captain at junior and senior level; in fact, he was the longest serving captain. He became the only Nigerian to have won the Nations Cup as a captain and as a coach.
“I understand how great this loss is. My prayer is that God will give the family the fortitude to bear the loss. Keshi has been a wonderful person. I know how traumatised he must be now; that is why we are praying God to give him and the children the fortitude to bear the loss.”